FDA, LNP Officers Arrest Man With Living Pigeon

Local News

Officers of the Wildlife Division of the Forestry Development Authority (FDA) along with officers of the Liberian National Police over the weekend arrested a man identified as Samuel Gaye for allegedly selling a pair of living-pigeon in Monrovia.

The incident which occurred at the United Nations Drive and Randall Street intersection came as a surprise to many pedestrians and street sellers who were on the scene of the arrest.

According to the FDA, culprit Gaye was arrested because he was in violation of the law that protected a specific category of species from illegal killing and selling.

Detained by both FDA and LNP officers, culprit Gaye was escorted at the Headquarters of the Forestry Development Authority (FDA) located at Barnard’s Farm, Paynesville, where he confessed as being a regular dealer for a man he only referred to as “parrot man.”

He narrated during an interrogation that,

“this man always brings these live creatures to me for selling and I will inflate the price just to survive.”

He noted during the investigation that he had to cooperate with the police simply because the business is illegal as far as his own conscience was concerned.

FDA Deputy Managing Director for Administration and Finance Benjamin Tennessee Plawon, thanked the police for their cooperation with the FDA in curtailing the activities of wildlife destruction in the country.
He reiterated that the law preventing the killing of wildlife will be upheld to the fullest.
According to him, such move remains key on the agenda of the FDA in line with its dream of promoting and protecting wildlife or endangered species consistent with the 2006 forestry reform law.

He noted that the destruction of endangered species was inhumane and degrading and vowed that FDA will reinforce the protection of these animals within the ambit of the law.

Wildlife staff led by their Manager Edward Gbeintor took the pigeons to the LABASSA Ecolodge sanctuary in Marshall City, Margibi County where they will be treated and later released to go back home in the woods upon gaining full health recovery.