NEC Holds By-Elections July 31 -With Campaign Declared Officially Open


The National Elections Commission has set Tuesday, July 31, 2018, as the date of the Montserrado and Bong counties By-elections.

The date was disclosed by the Chairman of the National Elections Commission Cllr. Jerome G. Korkoya at a press conference held at the James M. Fromayan Conference Hall in Monrovia on Monday, July 2, 2018.

The disclosure of the date according to the NEC Boss is in keeping with Section One (1) of the Joint Resolution LEG – 003/2018 by the 54th Legislature of the Republic of Liberia.

“The Senate and House of Representatives resolved that the by-elections be conducted no later than July 31, 2018,” he said.

The NEC Chairman revealed that the Commission has certified twelve candidates following the announcement of the nomination period which ran from April 11 to May 5, 2018.

Chairman Korkoya named Josiah Marvin Cole, Fairnoh Theo Gbilah, Prince Togar Kollie, Henrique Flomo Tokpa and Orando Koimene Zarwolo as qualified candidates vying for the Senatorial seat of Bong County; while Montserrado County, having seven contestants namely; Bernard DJ Blue Benson, Jr., Josephine George Francis, Saah Hardy Joseph, Finley Y. Kangar, Mark Augustine Keshen, Yekeh Yarkpaworlue Kolubah and Michael Doe Tipayson.

At the same time, the National Elections Commission has officially declared campaign open, stating that, it will run from July 2, 2018, to Sunday, July 29, 2018.

“The campaign period commences today and will end at midnight on Sunday, July 29, 2018. Candidates in the by-elections are advised to go about their campaign in a peaceful manner void of violence and in keeping with the laws of Liberia and more specifically those controlling the electoral process,” the NEC Chairman intoned.

Meanwhile, NEC has amended the writ of Elections issued to magistrates of the two counties to reflect the new date.

The NEC Chairman said 80% of pre-packed materials for the Senatorial By-elections have arrived in the country on Sunday, July 1, 2018, onboard a chartered flight; adding that the remaining 20% is expected to be in the country before July 7, 2018.

“The public will be informed on the arrival of the remaining pre-packed kits. The Commission is grateful to the Government of Liberia for its support to the conduct of the Senatorial by-elections in Bong and Montserrado Counties,” Chairman Korkoya concluded.

Leave a Reply