Fire Victims Call For Help In Kakata

Victims of a recent fire disaster in the Peace Island Community in Kakata, Margibi County are calling on the County Legislative Caucus, the County Authority, philanthropists and other citizens to come to their aid.

It can be recalled that a three bedroom house in the Peace Island Community was gutted by fire on Friday night, April 20, 2019, destroying cash and materials leaving about 25 persons homeless.

Explaining his ordeal to The Monrovia Times Newspaper on Saturday, April 20, 2019, Reverend Jonah Tokpah who is said to be the owner of the House indicated that the fire outbreak occurred at about 9 pm after he has gone to collect his children from a charging booth he also owns.

“Yesterday we were observing our Good Friday with my members and I left by 6:30 to go for my children on the road from the charging booth and then while in route coming I heard the other girl coming to me crying saying father there is a fire in the house” he averred.

The Concerned United Methodist Church Pastor narrated that upon his arrival he saw the house on fire thus destroying all their belongings. He said the Church or worship center which was attached to the house was destroyed while money belonging to a community-based organization as well as traveling documents (Visa) that were given to him so as to offer to pray over them got burned to aches.

The man of God added that over sixty thousand Liberian dollars (L$60,000), eight hundred United States dollars and 24inch Television among others were also destroyed by the fire.

The Concerned United Methodist Church Pastor is at the same time calling on well-meaning Margibians and government officials to help rebuild their homes.

Meanwhile, occupants of the house who were indoor prior to the fire outbreak said they have no idea on how the house was gutted by fire.

Madam Hawah July who has stayed in the house for over four months as a patient waiting to be delivered through prayer and Madam Elizabeth Tokpah daughter of the Pastor narrated that they were only informed by a little boy that fire was in two of the rooms including the Pastor’s room.

Hawah and Elizabeth said immediately they started shouting calling on their neighbors to come to their rescue something according to them their neighbors did.

They intoned that their neighbors became to help put off the fire using water but it further intensified thereby overcoming them. The fire victims then expressed that they are sleeping in the open due to the lack of shelter to accommodate them.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s